Thursday, May 10, 2007

What The???

I had a woman looking at my work this morning, bags that I make with my own fabrics, stitch the begeebers out of and then create lovely handles for, and she proceeds to try and disassemble the bag!

She was shocked that I would be horrified, her comment was "well don't you take things apart to see how they are constructed and to see if the construction is quality or not"? Well actually no I don't, and I informed her as much and since the bags were silk I was a little bit more than put out. She kept claiming that she wasn't doing this to try to copy my bags - yeah whatever get your mitts of my stuff lady.

So the twenty million question is how does one politely tell someone to get their mitts off of your work??? I'm not always known for tact and I know this so I tend to keep my mouth shut so as to not dig myself a grave but come one why would someone do something like this??? Personally I find the behaviour not only odd but inconsiderate - I just don't know how to tell this to people when they behave in such a manner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be inclined to say "get your mitts off my work!" I just can't imagine anyone doing that in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should put up a sign or two stating that if a product is broken, torn, or whatever, then they have to pay for it.

Maybe on the more 'tender' pieces put up a sign "Do not touch. Ask for help from artist.

Sarah said...

Girl, don't worry about being polite! It's not Walmart or a Yardsale!! These are your very fine works - don't be afraid to tell people not to handle it! There is a big difference between looking at something to see if you like the color and design - "Will this go with my shoes?"; and checking something how to see how it was put together!